Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Movie Memories pt 1

The previous movie review post made me think of the other times I've had a memorable experience at the movies.

I've always enjoyed going to the cinema to watch movies, right from the first one I remember my parents bringing me to watch (which was Clash of the Titans if I'm not mistaken) and hiding behind the seat in front whenever the villain Calibos appeared (he was scary to a 7 year old!)

Calibos - scary ain't he?

The whole experience in those days really excited me - from the snacks (kacang putih and preserved fruits!), the choosing the seats, the tickets with crayons marking the seat nos, the darkened huge theatre, the ads and trailers (sometimes the best part of the film!) and the thrill of watching a movie on the big screen.

The legendary State Theatre PJ New Town - pic by Augustine Heng

One of the best movie experiences I had was watching a late evening showing of the Wong Fei Hung parody Once Upon a Time a Hero in China at State Theatre in PJ New Town with the brother - YH. We were running late so weren't sure we'd get a seat but we did in a full house. The movie was very funny in a stupid 'HK Mo Lei Tau' kind of way but the thing I remember most was the atmosphere of a full cinema of people laughing and having a good time together & me & YH were swept into that. Magic.

Nowadays, its not quite as magical with the multiplex experience. But at least there's popcorn and there are still trailers!

1 comment:

Mr + Mrs Kong said...

Haiya KTKK, you should never re-watch movies from your childhood... sure to be disappointed.

The only exception I can think of is Star Wars, still good after all these years. Remember the stickers, postcards & toys? I remember exchanging all my postcards of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker etc for Princess Leia! Hoohooo!

Anyway, didn't know you had such strong feelings about COTT movie. Have watched it since the first time & you're right, its ultra cheesy and inaccurate.

Never mind, still remember the feeling of seeing it for the first time in the cinema... that's the main thing.