Thursday, August 03, 2006

Why does one love Malaysia?

3 years ago, I attended an interview for a work placement scholarship, and was asked at the end of the interview, to write about the 10 things I loved most about Malaysia. I can't remember what I wrote on that uneventful day but I do remember not getting the scholarship. I have always wondered since whether I would ever find 10 things to love about Malaysia.

Of late, (perhaps due to the years pilling on), I have re-discovered our ultimate home, with new eyes and ears. Perhaps its just the opportunity to look at home from a different perspective.

With all the bad news on the going-ons in this world - (about war, illness, crime and generally - people killing more people), I thought it would be a change to share a pleasant thought, of observation and wonder at the beauty that can be found in this lovely tropical country.

Here is Love Number 1 for today:

THE WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE OF SWIMMING AT 12 NOON!

Having the warm Malaysian sun on your back and its reflection in your eyes, while glidding seamlessly through a mass of water so cool that the sensation of the hot sun on its surface is a welcomed relief. If you are lucky enough to have the pool to yourself, and a slight breeze over the water, don't forget to notice the refraction of the many many tiny surface ripples, beautifully magnified onto the bottom of the pool - following you along as you glide through the pool.

This is my heaven - more pleasurable than a gucci handbag

(much to Mr Kong's relief I am sure)!

Kong Tai Tai

No comments: